On page 374 of our textbook, Robyler offers five strategies for using technology in art instruction. These strategies included:
1. Students take virtual trips to art museums
2. Students create electronic portfolios to illustrate their creative products
3. Illustrate artworks/techniques with digital slide shows
4. Teacher-created websites give short tutorials on art concepts
5. Students create an illustrated desktop-published brochure or newsletter
These strategies inspired me. I was never a good art student, and would sometimes cry as a young child if I had to draw a line. Art classes always frustrated me and made feel insecure and inferior. Clearly, I do not want my students to feel this way.
The idea of creating electronic portfolios to showcase student work through electonic publishing, videos, and presentation software seems fabulous. This allows students to share their work and research with others. While I would never have wanted my drawings available for viewing, electronic portfolios let students explore graphic design, works of other artists who might inspire them, and create a comprehensive view into the mind of the student artist. I believe art instruction should be about more than just drawing, painting, sculpting, and designing. It should also be about art history, appreciation for artists and their styles, and giving students the tools to analyze and critique art works. Through the use of electronic portfolios, teachers can help their students achieve these goals.
No comments:
Post a Comment