The Course
Since this would be my first online class, I was not exactly sure what to expect. Not very savvy with technology, I was nervous I would be far behind the rest of my classmates. However, these feelings quickly faded as I found much of the course to be based around ideas in educational technology rather than around specific skills. While I did learn a lot about word processing, spreadsheets, and databases, I would have liked more direction in how to apply these skills in the classroom. I have learned a lot about various topics in educational technology, such as Assistive Technology, and I have changed my opinion about different issues such as online learning and technology used in physical education classes. This class opened my eyes to many possibilities I never considered before.
There were two areas of improvement I found for future classes. One area consists of utilizing classroom meetings for technical skills, group work time for projects, and discussions of topics from our readings or how to apply concepts in the classroom. Another area of improvement might be feedback throughout the course. For the first half of the semester, I did not know where I stood, but after the first half, I feel Dr. Lan provided much more feedback that encouraged me in my efforts.
I appreciated how willing Dr. Lan was to adapt the class as concerns arose in the face-to-face meetings. Based on the changes, Dr. Lan showed us that she valued our thoughts and ideas about the course. Having a teacher who is so willing to listen to her students is very refreshing.
The Learner
I learned a lot over the course of the semester about issues, trends, and possibilities in educational technology. The flexibility the course allows greatly helped me as I eased back into school after having a baby. The extended deadlines were a lifesaver as teething and illness slowed my progress on some weeks. By enrolling in this course, I was better able to monitor my own schedule and adjust it as my days constantly changed. A motivated learner, I really enjoyed pacing myself. I wish I could take more of my classes online!
No comments:
Post a Comment