Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Content Video Reflections: What an Amateur!

This was an experience. My content video focused on physical activities children can do. To film this video, I lugged sports gear over to my sister's house and filmed her, her husband, and their dog, Higgy, demonstrating various activities from frisbee to basketball to jumping jacks. I incoporated information about burning calories and the issue of obesity in children. While I feel there was a lot of good information in the video, I also believe the video was quite comical.

There are a number of areas in which I can improve. At times, my sister's entired head did not make it entirely into the shot because I was more focused on the object on the ground or in her hands. This is definitely something I need to pay more attention to in the future. I also learned that 4-month-old puppies are not predictable. When my sister threw the frisbee, we thought Higgy would run after it. This was not the case. Instead she laid on the ground and looked at us like we should run after it. After a few tries, though, it worked. In the future, I would also create a more elaborate script for my "actors." I outlined what I wanted my sister to say in the video, but she was all over the place. I also didn't realize she was chewing gum until I watched the video back during editing.

Despite these areas needing improvement, I really enjoyed making the video. My family passed the YouTube link around for a good laugh. My sister is totally humiliated, but I think she did a great job. I can see the benefits of video in the classroom. Creating videos require a lot of planning ahead. Students would learn about creating scripts, developing various shots, and editing. Similar to a writing assignment and presentation, students would go through the creative process to create a masterpiece. I would love to try this out with a classroom! Incorporating videos and other multimedia into classrooms enhances the educational experience of the students and appeals to all types of learners.

No comments:

Post a Comment