Look What I Can Read!
Kindergarten
Language Arts
In this lesson, students use digital cameras to create a book with signs and words from around campus that they can read. Examples of these signs and words include a Nike swoosh or McDonald's arches. I really like how this lesson encourages students to go outside the classroom and explore the campus in a discriminating way. So often the young students feel lost on campus, so this would be an appropriate way to engage students in learning while also allowing them to feel a part of the campus. Before setting students loose on campus, though, I would definitely include a lesson explaining how to use the digital cameras. Also, I would have the students find these signs and words with a teacher assistant or classroom volunteers to help the young ones stay on task and not get lost. I would not attempt to take out all the groups at one time. Lastly, I would reserve the computer lab so students may create their own covers to their books.
Alliteration
Kindergarten
Language Arts
In this lesson, students help create a classroom slide show demonstrating their understanding of letter sounds using alliteration. I appreciate how this lesson uses brainstorming on paper before going to the computers to start working. As young students, this will help them focus on the words before worrying about their slide appearance. I question how the teacher supports her students struggling with alliteration or producing words. At the beginning of the year, students will need strategies to find these words such as using a dictionary, word wall, or a simple story. Students need to be comfortable using these resources before completing this activity. Also, I would create a tangible product for the students either through a classroom book or individual books that they can use as a resource while writing or reading. For my students, I would make appointments to use the computer lab, and I would enlist the help of classroom volunteers or the computer teacher to ease the management of this activity.
Soaring Like a Bird--Verbs
Kindergarten
Language Arts
In this lesson, students observe seagulls at a local pier and then take pictures of classmates replicating the actions of the seagulls. This lesson integrates a science unit about birds with a language arts lesson on verbs. Students also utilize classroom cameras as the technology component of this lesson. The use of integration across subjects as well as using cameras is an appealing idea. There was not mention of whether students will write out their observations by hand or by using a word processor. I would like to see students prepare their pictures and writing and then go to the computer lab to prepare a slide or book to share with the whole class. I also think students should take pictures at the pier. In this way, students will be better able to imitate the birds and have the information fresh in their minds. For some students, it may be difficult to recall something that happened earlier in the day.
No comments:
Post a Comment