Since I have not taught for the last two years, I decided to investigate what my school is currently doing with technology in the Lower School (preK through fourth grade). I learned that these students use technology to reinforce math, reading, graphics, and emerging literacy skills. Students use special software to create and publish stories and illustrations. Starting in first and second grade, students create multimedia presentations, and by second grade, students use kid-friendly search engines to research specific topics. They also use spreadsheets to enter data and create graphs. In third and fourth grade, students learn important keyboarding skills.
Students in the Lower School have access to two, fully-equipped, networked PC labs that also have a SMART Board, scanners, and laser and color printers. A laptop cart containing 18 computers for classroom use are also available. Printers are located in each pod, and SMART Boards are located in each classroom. Digital cameras are also provided to teachers so they may document the happenings in their classrooms and then post these pictures to their class websites.
Clearly, this school has been blessed with wonderful resources. None of the schools I have taught in have had access to this much technology. It would be interesting to know what kind of professional development these teachers receive and how much support they gain from the technology specialists.
No comments:
Post a Comment