Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Topic 10: Tech Skills Outcomes

When I began this class, I possessed very basic skills. I could search the Internet, write emails, use word processing, and create a very basic website. Now, however, I have gained confidence using spreadsheets and databases. I also feel empowered with ideas for integrating technology into the classroom. For me, at least, just having the support and opportunities to use technology gives me the faith in myself to try new things. Through the Robyler readings, I am armed with many new ideas and possibilites for my classroom.

I believe my teaching and instructional management will be affected in a positive way. My students always enjoyed the times when I used technology in the classroom. Now I may use technology as more than a presentation tool for lessons. I hope to not only integrate technology to increase student engagement, but also to teach my students important skills they will need as they progress through school and into the real world. While I am still nervous about teaching my students how to use the technology, I feel that it is important to do so.

The Atomic Learning self-assessment really demonstrated how little experience and exposure I had to various technologies. By understanding how much I needed to learn, I realized that I could not put technology on a back burner any longer. The more I delayed learning some of the skills, the farther behind I would be. In a classroom where students often know more than I do about technology, I owe it to my students to keep up with the times. Using Atomic Learning has also greatly helped me. The tutorials guide me through programs I never used before. Being able to pull up tutorials at any time is also very comforting. I wish my school had access to Atomic Learning to help all the teachers who heavily rely on our two technology people.

No comments:

Post a Comment