Thursday, October 29, 2009

Topic 13: Open Post: Baby Einstein DVDs

While I choose not to allow my 10 month old son to watch television or use the computer except to view pictures of family members, I found it interesting to hear about the controversy with Baby Einstein DVDs. Apparently, Baby Einstein is refunding American parents. Recent research conducted at Washington University showed that children watching these videos learned fewer words than children who did not watch the videos. Baby Einstein was specifically mentioned. Parents can be refunded for up to four videos at $15.99 per video.

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that children under the age of 2 receive no screen time. Instead, parent-child interaction is highly encouraged. There are now even studies out stating that television exposure to children between the ages of 1 and 3 can lead to attention problems by age 7. Observing how my son processes the world around him, I can understand how television could be a lot for him. Rather than sorting through information and visuals like adults, young children take everything in and can be easily overstimulated. I have been somewhat fortunate in that my son refuses to sit long enough to watch television. However, the lights on the television box and the buttons on the remote control can keep him happy for short periods of time.

I think it would be interesting to see how other uses of technology impact young children. Since technology seems to intrigue so many young children right away, what devices or programs would stimulate and help children grow in a positive way? My son and his friends love learning tables that light up and produce music or sounds, however, opening and closing doors or unrolling toilet paper rolls keep them occupied for minutes at a time. What about computer and video game use? At some point, I think how these technologies are used determine how positive or negative the impact. Just as we read about technology in this class, it is up to the authority figure to determine how technology can best be used. If a parent supplemented the DVD use with related games or discussions, would the DVDs then provide children with more positive outcomes?

No comments:

Post a Comment