Thursday, February 25, 2010

Visual Search Tools




While watching the Atomic Learning tutorials regarding how to search the Internet, I learned about visual search tools. On the right, you can see a shot of a Search Cube. I searched for global warming, and the cube presented me with these options. You can click on any of the images and be automatically linked to the website. Rather than being presented with the traditional list of information, the searcher may see pictures that will then lead them to the information they want. When you slide over the pictures, a brief description appears to the right of the search cube.



Another visual search tool is Viewzi. Viewzi provides the searcher a grid of websites. I also searched global warming for this search. You can view these results with text or screenshots in the power grid. Other ways to view these results are timeline, albums, songs, site info, photo tag cloud, and a number of other ways.
I think these are two great search sites. With the ability to use not only text searches, searchers may have an easier time searching for what they need. Information is displayed in a much more visually appealing way. However, these search sites are not for everyone or for every search. With younger students who may be overwhelmed by a page of text, these can be great resources.







No comments:

Post a Comment